By default, Facebook Messenger users receive a read receipt whenever their message is read. This is a pretty useful feature to let you know that the recipient has been notified. However, sometimes these read receipts can work against you.
If you’re wondering how to turn off read receipts on Facebook Messenger, the sad truth is that you can’t. However, you can delay the read receipt, which can be useful in certain circumstances, such as when you don’t want to be bothered by a quick response.
If you are still wondering how to read a received message without letting the sender know about it, we have a partial solution. Follow these steps:
- Head to your phone Settings application.
- Slide the toggle next to it Airplane mode to On position. It should be green.
- Launch the Messenger app and open the conversation you need.
- After reading the message, close the app and make sure you pull it out of the app drawer.
- Turn it off Airplane mode.
Because Airplane mode disables your network connection, the sender won’t be notified that you’ve read their message. Alternatively, you can use dedicated third-party applications to “hide” Facebook messages.
How to turn off Messenger read receipts in the Android app
If you’re wondering how to turn off read receipts in Facebook Messenger for Android, we’ve got bad news—there’s no easy way to do it. Facebook does not allow users to choose whether to send read receipts. Fortunately, we found a way around this. Follow the instructions below:
- Swipe from the top of your phone screen to the middle to access the Quick setup Menu.
- Tap the airplane icon to turn it on Airplane mode.
- Get out Messenger and open the conversation containing the unread message.
- Close after reading the message Messenger application.
- Tap the square icon in the lower right corner of the screen to see all apps running in the background. If you see Messenger in the list, swipe out.
- Swipe from the top of the screen to the middle and tap the airplane icon again to turn off Airplane mode.
Airplane mode disables the network connection so that the sender of the message does not receive a confirmation that the message has been read.
How to turn off Messenger read receipts on your PC
Facebook users cannot turn off message read receipts. However, if you have a Windows laptop, we have a way to overcome this limitation. Follow the instructions below:
- Download the Messenger Desktop app. The regular version of Messenger in the browser will not help.
- Log in to your Facebook account through the app.
- Click on Start button at the bottom right and enter airplane mode.
- Open up Airplane mode and click the toggle button On.
- Run it Messenger Desktop app and open a conversation containing an unread message.
- After reading the message, close the application.
- Head to Airplane mode again and rotate the toggle button Off.
Enabling Airplane mode works because it turns off the network connection, just like Airplane mode for smartphones. If you don’t want to lose your internet connection or don’t have Airplane mode, you can use third-party apps like Facebook Unseen. How to use:
- Install the app on your computer. Once you’ve done this, an icon with the app’s logo will appear next to the browser’s address bar.
- Click on the application logo icon.
- Check the box next to it Block the “See” feature..
And it is done; all message read receipts in the selected Facebook chat will be disabled.
Other frequently asked questions
This section contains additional answers to your frequently asked questions about Facebook Messenger.
If I turn off read receipts, will I see when other people read my messages?
When you turn off sending confirmations, in apps like WhatsApp, you will stop receiving confirmations that other users have read your messages. In other words, it’s a double feature. However, Messenger does not allow users to disable read receipts.
Enabling airplane mode or using third-party “do not show message” apps will not affect the functionality of Facebook. You’ll still see when someone reads your messages unless they use the same tricks to hide read receipts.
If I turn off my active status, can I see when others are online?
Although Facebook does not allow you to disable read receipts, you can turn off the online status indicator. After you do this, other Facebook users will have no way of knowing when you are logged into the app. You’ll still be able to see when others are online, unless they’ve also disabled the feature.
Can anyone see that I read the message request?
Fortunately, no. Message requests are messages from other users who are not your friends. These messages are usually saved in a separate folder. If you open and read the message, the sender will not receive a read receipt.
However, if you reply, all future messages will include a standard read receipt.
Now that you know how to bypass Facebook Messenger’s read receipt feature, you can avoid awkward situations and feelings of guilt for not replying to messages right away. If you’re using third-party apps to unread messages, be sure to read reviews before installing and don’t download anything from shady sites. Hopefully, Facebook will allow users to disable read receipts at some point in the future.
What feature do you really miss in Facebook Messenger? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.