Users are increasingly aware of how their privacy is exposed on WhatsApp. You appear online to your contacts just by opening a message, and people can get the false impression that you’re available to chat every time you use the app. But a little trick that can help is to turn off your online status on WhatsApp.
If you’ve been looking for ways to hide your online status on WhatsApp, you’ve come to the right place. This article will offer everything you need to know about this trick whether you are using WhatsApp on PC, iPhone or Android.
How to hide your last seen status in WhatsApp on iPhone
WhatsApp’s “Last Seen” status allows users to see the last time other people were online on the app and whether they are currently using the platform. As convenient as this may be for some users, it is a major privacy concern for others. Deactivating your online status is the first logical step to protect your privacy.
However, remember that once you disable the “Last Seen” status, you will also not be able to see the online status of your contacts.
If you are an iPhone user and would like to hide your online status in the app, follow the steps below.
- Commencement WhatsApp.
- Click on Settings button in the bottom menu.
- Go to Account section.
- Click on Privacy from the list of options.
- A new list of options will appear where you can change who can see your personal information. Click on Last seen tweak online status settings.
- Hide yours Last seen status by tapping on No one. You can choose My contacts if you want only your contacts to see your status, or All so everyone can see yours Last seen position.
How to hide your last seen status in WhatsApp on Android device
People often want to hide their online status to maintain some privacy. If you prefer to write on WhatsApp incognito, you can do so on your Android device. Follow the steps below.
- Commencement WhatsApp.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose Settings and go to Account section.
- Go to Privacy.
- Click on Last seen and select No one if you want to hide your online status completely. Tap My contacts if you want your contacts to see your online status.
How to hide your online status in WhatsApp from PC
If you use WhatsApp on your computer, you are probably using the web version of WhatsApp. This version does not allow you to tune the online status through the settings page, like on a smartphone.
Instead, you need to install plugins for your browser. Assuming you’re using Chrome, there are two plugins you can use. Follow the steps below.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store and search WAIncognito extension.
- Install the extension to use WhatsApp without appearing online.
- Click on the extension to adjust the settings. You can check the box next to it Don’t send “Last Seen” updates. option to hide your online status.
You can also install a plugin called WA Web Plus. Just add the plugin to Chrome, access the WhatsApp website as usual and follow the steps below:
- With the WhatsApp website open, tap WA Web Plus engage.
- Check the box next to it Hide online status to hide your online status from your contacts.
- If the changes don’t take effect immediately, simply reload the WhatsApp web app.
Other frequently asked questions
Here are some more helpful answers to your WhatsApp privacy questions.
Can I chat when I’m offline on WhatsApp?
Yes! There are two handy tricks you can use to read and reply to WhatsApp messages and still appear offline.
The first is more direct and involves replying to a message via the notification panel:
– For iPhone users, simply swipe the message from the notification bar to the left, select view and reply.
– On Android, tap the message on your Notification panel, select Answer and send a message.
If you accidentally deleted a message preview, you can pull down from the top of the screen to view unread notifications, hold the chat in question and press Answer knob.
The second way to reply to a message when viewed offline involves Airplane mode. You turn on Airplane mode and it allows you to read a message without appearing online. This way, your last recorded time online on WhatsApp is the time before Airplane mode was turned on. This is a pretty cool feature, except it prevents you from receiving new messages while it’s on.
Here are the detailed steps to perform this “trick:”
1. Switch your device to Airplane mode.
2. Run WhatsApp and open the chat to which you want to send a new message.
3. Enter the message and press Send knob.
4. Turn off Airplane mode. The recipient will receive your message without you appearing online.
Now you know two methods to help you chat without being online. Don’t hesitate to use the quick reply option when you know the person will continue to message you if they think you’re online. If you need to reply to a single text but don’t want to be seen online, you can always turn on Airplane mode.
Can I see others when my WhatsApp status is hidden?
In WhatsApp settings, you can tweak your online status to be visible to everyone, only contacts, or no one. If you set the status to No oneno one will be able to see yours Last seen status, but you won’t see other people’s online status either.
If you choose My contacts settings, you will be able to see when your contacts are online and they will also see when you are.
Can I hide my status for specific WhatsApp contacts?
You can hide the status updates of some contacts by following these steps:
For iPhone users:
1. Run WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to Settings page.
2. Go to Accountthen Privacy.
3. Go to Position section and tap on My contacts except…
4. Check the box next to the contact(s) you want to hide status updates from.
5. Tap on Done after completion.
For Android users:
1. Run WhatsApp on your phone and go to the menu with three dots at the top right of the screen.
2. Tap on Settings from the drop-down menu.
3. Go to Account.
4. Go to Privacythen Position.
5. Select My contacts except… choice.
6. Tap the circle box next to the contacts you want to hide status updates from.
7. Confirm by tapping the green circle at the bottom right.
Keep in mind that these steps will only hide your status updates from specific contacts. They won’t hide yours Last seen position.
You can hide yours Last seen condition for Each, My contactsor No one. Currently, there is no feature that allows you to hide your online status from only specific contacts.
If you want to prevent a specific contact from seeing your online status, you’ll need to block them from your account. After that, the person will not be able to see yours Last seen status or other personal information such as your profile picture, stories or anything else associated with your account.
To block a contact:
1. Run WhatsApp on your phone.
2. Tap on the chat with the person you want to block.
3. Tap that person’s name at the top of the screen and select Block.
4. Select Block from challenge to completion.
WhatsApp chat ended incognito
There are many benefits to hiding your online status. You won’t feel pressured to respond to a message once you’ve read it. Meanwhile, scrolling through the app late at night when you just want to relax won’t make you an easy victim of constant messages from your contacts, and your overall level of privacy is higher. This article shares everything you need to know when it comes to hiding your online status on WhatsApp. Hopefully you will be able to use some of the things you have learned.
What are the main reasons why you want to hide your online status on WhatsApp? Share your thoughts in the comments below.