One of the key functions of Instagram is to create connections between users. People can easily find and connect with a large community, whether through mutual friends, interests or hashtags used. All it takes is a few simple clicks.
Suppose you are interested in finding new contacts on Instagram. In that case, this article explains how to link device contacts, connect to Facebook contacts, and search for people to start following new and exciting profiles.
How to Find Instagram Contacts Using iOS/iPhone
Assuming you want to connect with more people on Instagram, you can use your phone contacts as well as your Facebook friends list. How to do it:
- Open up “The Instagram app.”
- Click on yours “profile icon” open the “Profile” page.
- Click on “hamburger icon,” then click on “Discover people.”
- Click on “Connect to Facebook” or “Connect contacts” choice. You can do both by repeating all the steps for the second option later.
- Choose “Allow access” in the pop-up window and your contacts will start syncing.
Note: You can also use Search find more people. Tap the “magnifying glass icon” at the top of the screen to search for people by their username, location, or tags. You’ll always have different profiles to browse under the “Search” box to find someone new to follow.
How to find contacts on Instagram using Android
If you’ve created a new Instagram profile, haven’t used it in a while, or just want to find more people to follow, you can use your Google contact list and Facebook friends list on Instagram. Do not worry. You still need to “Follow” them to add them to your “Watch” list. Here’s how to add Google contacts and Facebook friends to Instagram using Android.
- Open the Instagram app for Android and then click on your “profile icon” in the bottom right, open your profile page.
- In the “Discover People” section, tap “See everything.”
- Click on “Connect contacts” above, then go to the next step. You can also choose “Connect to Facebook” and then go to “Step 6”.
- To allow access to contacts, tap “Allow access.”
- After connecting Instagram to Google or IOS contacts, browse “Top Suggestions” which is first in the list or go to “Most Mutual Connections” below it.
- When you find the person you want to add to your Instagram account in the list, tap “Follow” or tap on
“profile” first to verify and then tap on “Follow” from here instead.
- Return to “Best suggestions” or “Most interconnections,” then tap on “See everything.” Choose “Connect to Facebook” at the top to link multiple contacts to Instagram.
If you find that your Google account’s contact list hasn’t added much to Instagram, you may need to access another Google account in the “Contacts” app or change the default account on Android. First, check your contacts to see what is stored under the current main account. For example, your primary Google account may not be the one with most of your contacts, or the existing main account on your Android device is not your actual main account.
When we tested this process on Android 11, we had to go to “Contacts,” tap the vertical ellipsis (vertical three dots), select “Select All,” and then add or merge contacts from another account.
Contacts are not displayed on Instagram
Some contacts may not appear on Instagram based on available information. For example, a name with an old phone number or postal address will not contain any practical or usable information. In addition, a contact who has not registered for an Instagram account will not be displayed.
further Instagram only provides recommendations based on your contacts and those who have an active Instagram account with any login information from your contact information. Instagram may also use information from Facebook to populate your search listings, such as their phone number or email address. In short, some of your contacts will appear in the watch list, while others will not.
How to find Instagram contacts on Windows, Mac or Chromebook
When you open Instagram on your computer, you can find new contacts here:
- In the upper right corner, click on “compass icon.”
- At the top of the new page, use “Search Box” enter any profile name or personal name and search for profiles you want to follow.
How to find contacts on Instagram by phone number
Here’s how to find new people on Instagram using their phone number:
- Save someone’s phone number to your phone’s contact list.
- OPEN “Instagram” on the phone where you saved the number.
- Go to “Profile” page.
- Click on “hamburger icon” (three lines) and you will see a menu tab on the right.
- Click on “Discover People” and you will see the option to link your account with Facebook or phone contacts.
- Choose “Connect” and allow Instagram access to your phone or Facebook contact list. Here you will also see profile suggestions.
If someone didn’t use their mobile phone to register their account, you most likely wouldn’t find them in your contact list. In that case, it is best to use the “Search” option.
Add contacts using Instagram search
you can too add people directly to Instagram based on username or real name.
- Click the magnifying glass at the bottom on Android/iOS or the search bar at the top of the browser on your computer and enter a name.
- Results are displayed and populated based on connections and other algorithms.
Note that the person may not have an Instagram associated/registered with their real name or username that you have synced on their device. You can also search Instagram by brand or location, but this process makes it difficult to find what you want.
In closing, searching and adding contacts on Instagram has never been easier. You just need to know where to look for them, and the developers of Instagram have made sure that it’s just one click away. Once you know all the tricks, you will have your family and friends as Instagram friends.
The most frequently asked questions about finding new contacts on Instagram
What should I do if Find Contacts on Instagram is not working?
When you allow Instagram to upload all your phone contacts, you should be able to see them in the app or through your browser. Since contacts are synced regularly, give it some time. If you still can’t access any of them, you’ll need to disconnect and reconnect your contacts sync.
Open Instagram and click on your profile picture. Click on the “hamburger” icon (the icon with three lines) and select “Settings”. Go to “Sync account and contacts”. From there, turn off sync and click “Disconnect”. This option will delete all your contacts and leave your list empty.
Why is Find Contacts on Instagram empty?
Sometimes contact synchronization may not go smoothly and your contact list may remain empty. The only way to fix this is to disconnect and reconnect contact sync several times.