Facebook Messenger is an excellent communication app that allows users to send texts, images, videos and GIFs. But can you keep those fun or funny videos in your device storage forever?
Facebook is a social media site that encourages users to log in daily and stay in touch. So it would make sense that you can’t download videos from Messenger. But luckily, you can keep those moments in your device storage, and this article will show you how.
How to download videos from Facebook Messenger
The need to record a video sent in Messenger is thankfully long gone for this time. You can easily download videos on Facebook Messenger. However, the instructions vary depending on the device you are using.
We’ll show you how to download videos in Messenger for every operating system and web browser.
How to Download Videos from Facebook Messenger – Web Browser
Facebook makes it relatively easy to download videos from your web browser. However, you will need to visit the Messenger website to do so. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Facebook and click on Messenger icon in the top-right corner.
- Select the conversation with the video you want to download. Then click on down arrow icon next to your friend’s name.
- A new window will open to the left of the conversation – click Open in Messenger.
- A new tab will open, switching the conversation to full screen. Find the video or click Media in the menu on the right.
Note: If you don’t see the menu, click on and icon in the upper right corner.
- Click on the video you want to download.
- The video will open in full screen. Click on download icon at the top to download the video.
Now your video will download. You can find it in your computer’s storage at Downloading folder.
Download Videos from Facebook Messenger – iOS and Android
If you prefer to use the Facebook Messenger mobile app, you can download Messenger videos to your iOS or Android device. What to do:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app and tap on the conversation from which you can load the video.
- Search for the video you want to download in the conversation. Or go to Media and files folder.
iOS users they can click on their friend’s name at the top to access the media folder.
Android users you can tap on and icon in the upper right corner to access the media folder.
- Click on View media, files and links.
- Select the video you want to download.
- Click on More.
- Tap Impose.
The video will be saved to your device downloading folder.
Download Facebook Videos – Workarounds
If the above methods don’t work for some reason, we have a few solutions. The following sections will show you how to download videos from Facebook Messenger if you don’t see this option natively.
Use the web browser trick
This hack allows you to download videos from Facebook Messenger. It extracts the video URL, switches it to the mobile version of the page and allows you to check the element and download the video. The process works like this:
- Go to the video you want to download.
- Right-click on it and select Copy video URL at current time.
- Paste this URL into your browser tab and remove the www. part and replace it with m. to access the mobile version.
- Load the page and play the video.
- Right-click and select Explore, or use Alt Option + Cmd + J on a Mac.
- Find the URL of the video ending in MP4 and copy it.
- Put it on another card and let it play.
- Right-click the video and select Save Video As.
This process is used on the internet on all kinds of websites to isolate a video file for download. It works on most browsers with a developer console, and although there are a few steps, it’s very straight forward.
One of the more reliable methods of saving videos is to use your device’s native screen recorder. All you have to do is open the video (as shown above). Then activate the screen recording function. Wait for the video recording and playback to start.
Android users you can activate this feature by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping Screen Recorder.
iOS users you can activate the screen recording feature by swiping down from the top right corner of the screen to access the control center. Then tap on Screen recording icon.
You can find screen recorded video in your device’s photo gallery.
Share the video on another platform
Many users have reported that they don’t see any options other than Share or Delete. If you tap ‘Share’, you will see a copy option that allows you to copy the URL to the video. You’ll also see options for YouTube, Discord, and other platforms.
Unfortunately, options vary by OS, Facebook Messenger version, and more. However, if you can share the video externally to another platform that allows you to download media, you can save the videos you want that way.
Here are the answers to your questions about saving videos on Facebook Messenger.
Will my friend know I downloaded the video?
No. Facebook will not send any feedback to the sender that you have downloaded the video. The platform also does not notify other users of screenshots.
Unfortunately, this is a privacy concern for many. If you don’t want someone to store your submitted content, it’s best to avoid submitting it.
I don’t see the screen recording icon on my iPhone. What should I do?
iOS allows users to customize Control Center. All you need to do if you don’t see the screen recording icon is to enable it. Here is the procedure:
1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap on Control center.
3. Scroll down to Screen recording.
4. Tap on green + icon to add to control center.
Why can’t I see the option to download the video?
If you’re using the Facebook Messenger mobile app and don’t see the download option, it’s probably because you need to update the app. The ability to download videos seems to come and go with updates. Go to the App Store or Google Play Store to update Facebook Messenger. Then try again.
Save your favorite videos
Facebook Messenger is a great place to send videos to friends and groups. But sometimes you want to save those videos forever. You shouldn’t have too much trouble downloading videos on Facebook Messenger.
Did you manage to download videos from Messenger? Let us know in the comments below!