Discord is definitely one of the best voice communication apps available today. With super-optimized audio compression, it can deliver uninterrupted, high-quality voice chat even when streaming resource-intensive video games.
Discord works through virtual servers that route communication directly between chat participants. Although it may sound complicated, it is actually very easy to set up your own Discord server. This article will teach you how to set up a Discord server on any device.
How to Create a Discord Server
Creating a Discord server is almost the same for all popular platforms. You can use it on your Windows, Mac, or Linux PC, as well as your iOS or Android mobile devices. What’s more, you can even use it through your web browser via the Discord web app.
The process usually involves the following steps:
- Installing the Discord app.
- Create a Discord account.
- Login to Discord.
- Building your server.
Of course, some of the steps will vary slightly from platform to platform, so the following sections will dive deeper into what each platform requires.
How to Create a Discord Server on Windows and Mac
To use Discord on a Windows or Mac computer, you can either use its web app through your browser or download and install the desktop app. Once you’ve set up Discord, the process for creating your first server will be the same, regardless of the version of the app you’re using.
To create a Discord server using the web app, follow these steps:
- Visit https://discord.com/.
- Click on “Open Discord in your browser” in the main part of the screen. If this button is not available, you can click on “Log in” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Enter your username and click the right arrow button.
- Now you will probably have to solve the “I’m not a robot” reCAPTCHA. Once you pass the test, you’ll enter Discord.
- Select your date of birth and click on “next.”
- The next screen will allow you to either create your server from scratch or use one of the common templates such as games, friends, etc. For the purpose of this tutorial, choose “Create your own.”
- Now you can define whether this server will be for your personal use or for the club or community. For now, select “For me and my friends.”
- The next screen allows you to customize your server. You can upload the image you want to use for your server and define the name of the server. When you’re done, click “Create.”
- As a final step, you can define a theme for your server. Of course, there’s a “Skip” button if you don’t want to now.
- Once you do, you’ll see a “Your server is ready!” notification. Click on “Take me to my server!” to continue.
- Finally, Discord allows you to claim the server you just created. To do so, you’ll need to create a Discord account by entering your email address and password.
As you can see, it is possible to create a server without having to create a Discord account. Of course, if you plan to use it in the future, it’s best to claim your server and keep all the settings you just made.
If you want to use the Discord desktop app, the process is slightly different from the one described above:
- Visit https://discord.com/.
- Click on “Download for…” in the main part of the screen. Depending on your operating system, the website will modify the wording of this button. For example, if you are using Windows, it will read “Download for Windows.”
- The download of the application installation file should start now, so wait for it to finish. Since the app is quite small (around 65 MB), it shouldn’t take more than a minute to download.
- Once the application installer file has finished downloading, go to the Downloads folder and double-click the file to start the setup.
- Now the settings will download the latest updates and open the app when finished.
- You should see “Welcome back!“. If you don’t already have a Discord account, click the “Register” under the “Sign in” button.
- Now enter your email, username, password and date of birth. When you’re done, click “Continue.”
- After that, the home page of the app will appear, allowing you to start using Discord.
- Be sure to verify your email address with Discord before continuing:
- Open the mailbox for the email address you used to sign up for Discord.
- Find mail from Discord with the subject “Verify email address for Discord” and open it.
- Click on “verification email” button.
- A new browser tab will open with the text “Email verified!“
- Click on “Keep going on Discord.”
- This action will automatically open the Discord web app. Once this happens, you’ll likely see an “Open Discord?” notification. Click on “Open Discord” to return to the application. Of course, you can also close this tab and return to the application yourself. Just click on the application icon on the taskbar.
- Open the mailbox for the email address you used to sign up for Discord.
- Once you’re back in the Discord desktop app, you’ll notice a yellow exclamation point in the menu on the far left. Hovering over “Create a server” button. Click on it.
- Now follow the instructions in steps 6 to 9 from the previous section. This will take you to your new server.
How to Create a Discord Server on Android
To create a Discord server on Android, you need to install the Discord mobile app from Google Play on your mobile device.
- When you launch the app, you’ll need to create your Discord account by entering your email, password, username, and date of birth.
- Once the app opens, tap on the “hamburger” menu. It’s the icon that looks like three horizontal lines in the top left corner of the app.
- Now you will see “Create a server“, which looks like a plus sign. Click on it.
- Click on “Create a server.”
- Add an image for your server, name it, and click “Create a server.”
- You can now invite people to join your server if they use Discord. If not, you can share the link at the bottom of the screen. You can skip this step by tapping the “x” in the upper left corner.
And that’s all. Your new Discord server is ready.
How to Create a Discord Server on iPhone
Creating a Discord server on an iPhone or other iOS device is very similar to how it is done on Android.
- The first step to creating a Discord server on an iPhone or other iOS mobile device is to download the app from the Apple App Store.
- Once you have installed the app, launch it and fill in all the required information about yourself.
- Once you’ve done that and the app opens, tap the three horizontal lines in the top left corner.
- Click the “Create Server” icon that looks like a plus sign in the menu on the left.
- Now tap on “Create a server” at the bottom of the screen.
- On the next screen, add an image and name of your server. When you’re done, tap “Create a server.”
- You can skip the “Invite members” for now by tapping “Close” in the upper left corner.
- The app will now take you to your new Discord server.
How to Create a Discord Server on a Chromebook
Anyone using a Chromebook has two ways to create a Discord server:
- Using Chrome, go to the Discord web app. This process is explained in the first part of the “How to Create a Discord Server on Windows and Mac” section of this article.
- Install the Android app from Google Play. To do this, follow the steps explained in the “How to Create a Discord Server on Android” section above.
The web app experience is much better when using a Chromebook. The Android app is built for mobile devices and the interface can be clunky when used on a laptop.
How to make a Discord server public
Discord servers are as public as you want them to be. In the beginning, no one can join your server unless you or someone else invites them by sharing a server link. If you post a link to your Discord server on a website or anywhere on social media, the public will see it.
However, if you want to create a truly public server that anyone can access without using a link, you’ll need to enable the “Community” option. Be aware that it will take some time before your server actually becomes public, as Discord has strict guidelines that you must first meet.
- Right-click on your server icon from the menu on the left.
- Click on “Server settings.”
- Click on “Enable the community” from the menu on the left.
- Click on “Start” from the main screen.
- Now Discord will expand the feature set on your server, allowing you to reach a wider audience.
- To be publicly visible, click “Discovery” under Community.
- You will see “Allow discovery” in the main window, but it will be grayed out.
- In order for your server to be public, you must meet all the requirements listed under the “Enable Discovery” button.
How to Set Discord Server to Private
Setting a Discord server to private is pretty easy.
- Right click on your server icon.
- Click on “Server Settings”.
- Click on “Roles” in the menu on the left.
- Click on the “@everyone” role on the main screen.
- Now scroll down the page and uncheck each option in the permission list.
This way, only people you add to the server will have access. If you want, you can also further fine-tune their access permissions by assigning them to a new rule that you can create.
Other frequently asked questions
We have included additional information in this section to answer your questions.
How many Discord servers can I create?
According to Discord, you can create 100 servers per account. That’s a lot of Discord servers!
How do I organize Discord channels?
A general rule of thumb is to start with the following structure:
# new members
# off topic
Once you get familiar with Discord, you can further edit your channel list.
Are Discord servers free?
Yes, Discord servers are free.
How do I set up roles in Discord?
To set up roles in Discord, follow these steps:
• Right-click the server icon from the menu on the left.
• Click on “Server Settings”.
• Click on “Roles” from the menu on the left.
• Click the “+” icon next to the “Roles” section in the upper left corner of the main screen.
• A new role will appear, so name it and customize it as you like.
How do I delete a Discord server?
There may come a time when you are ready to delete your Discord server. While the process is pretty straight forward, you may want to read this article and leave the throne to another user or leave the server you created first.
If you’re ready to delete your server, follow these steps:
1. Open Discord, click the server you want to delete, then click the arrow icon in the upper left corner.
2. Click Server Settings.
3. Click Delete Server at the bottom of the menu on the left.
4. Enter the server name and click Delete Server.
5. Let Discord know why you decided to delete your server.
That is all! Remember that when you delete a server, it disappears forever along with all messages and data.
Organize your dispute
Now that you know how to create a Discord server, it’s time to add your friends and start conversations. With voice channels on your server, you can get all the benefits of Discord, which are much better than other applications like Skype, Zoom, Google Meet, etc.
Did you manage to create your Discord server? What platform are you using it on? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.