After several days of voting, the ModDB community has chosen Breadmen’s Entropy: Zero 2 mod for Half-Life 2: Episode Two as the best mod released in 2022.
Entropy: Zero 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed 2017 mod that put players into the shoes of Combine for the first time. Both modes are free but require ownership of Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, and Half-Life 2: Episode Two.
The pessimist, pessimist, pessimist, pessimist known as the “bad cop” is back.
Lead a small army of Combine synths and soldiers on a northern expedition to capture Dr. Judith Mossman. Step into Gordon Freeman’s heels on Nova Prospect. Discover the mysterious “Arbeit Communications” facility. Find out what lies beneath. Drive an armored personnel carrier through the arctic wastes. Confront the rebels on their doorstep and uncover a long-forgotten secret.
- Overhauled combat – new effects, enemies and weapons!
- New campaign includes seven chapters of content.
- Overhauled enemy AI, enemy willpower, and enemy variants create exhilarating combat scenarios.
- A story-driven experience with a fully composed and choreographed cast.
- Command Teams for Joint Soldiers. Ask them to do your bidding!
- Try Xen Grenades – weapons that devour enemies and objects and generate Xen lifeforms in return.
Only defeated by Entropy: Zero 2, STALKER Anomaly’s standalone mod to STALKER: Call of Prypyat is still very popular among mod fans thanks to its custom 64-bit Monolith engine (forked from the original X-Ray engine). The third place was taken by Unification, a modification of the strategy game Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War – Soulstorm.
In other news, ModDB’s sister site IndieDB also hosted a similar poll to create the most popular indie game released in 2022. The winner turned out to be World War II multiplayer first-person shooter Isonzo, ahead of Vampire Survivors (2nd place). ) and Turbo Overkill (ranked third).