While scrolling through Instagram, you came across an amazing story, but when you wanted to share it, you noticed that it wasn’t possible. Instagram allows you to share stories, but only in some cases.
If you’re wondering why you can’t share someone else’s Instagram story, you’ve come to the right place. This article will cover everything you need to know about sharing Instagram Stories.
Why can’t I share someone else’s Instagram story?
The main reason you can’t share someone else’s Instagram story is because you’re not tagged in it.
Instagram only allows you to share a story if you have been tagged in it by the person who posted it. When you’re tagged, you’ll receive a notification that someone mentioned you in their story. Once you open it, you will see an option to “Add to your story”.
If you’ve been mentioned in a story but can’t share it, there might be something wrong with the app. Eliminate possible causes such as:
- Your app isn’t updated – If you’re using an old version of Instagram, you may lose some of its features, including sharing stories. Always make sure your app is up to date.
- Story Expired – As you know, Instagram stories last for 24 hours. If a story has expired, you won’t be able to open or resubmit it.
- Violating Community Guidelines – If you haven’t followed Instagram’s community guidelines, the app may prevent you from sharing someone else’s story, even if you’re tagged in it. Contact Instagram support and try to resolve this issue.
While Instagram won’t let you share someone else’s story unless you’ve been tagged in it, there are ways around it. Try these options if you find a story you feel compelled to share.
First, you can always take a screenshot and share it in your story. Keep in mind that Instagram won’t notify the user that you’ve taken a screenshot and reshared it unless you tag it in a story.
You can also use third-party apps that allow you to save stories and then share them. As you know, Instagram does not offer the option to save a story to your device. However, apps like Story Saver for Android and Instant Save for iPhone allow you to download a story to your phone and share it.
If you’re using Android, follow these steps to download and share a story using the Story Saver app:
- Download the Story Saver app from the Play Store.
- Launch it and login with your Instagram username and password.
- A list of people you follow and their stories will appear.
- Click on one of the profiles to see all the stories they’ve posted in the last 24 hours.
- Choose one of the stories.
- Click the arrow.
- The story will download to your phone. Find it in your gallery and add it to your story.
If you’re using an iPhone, follow these steps to download and share a story using the Instant Save app:
- Download the Instant Save app from the App Store.
- Log in to the app using your Instagram username and password.
- Browse stories posted by people you follow and select the one you want to save.
- Click the save icon.
- Find the photo in your folder and repost it as your story.
- You can also copy the story link, paste it into the app and share again.
Send the story to your followers
Even if you can’t share the story further, you can forward it to people you follow:
- OPEN Instagram.
- Find the story you want to share and tap the arrow in the lower right corner.
- Select the person to pass the story on to.
- Tap “Send.”
If the person who posted the story has a public account, anyone can open it. However, if the person has a private account, your follower will not be able to open the story unless they also follow the person.
Ask the person who posted the story to repost it
If you’re in someone’s Story and they forgot to mention you, Instagram won’t offer the option to share it. In this case, you can always ask the person who posted the story to repost it and tag you.
Why can’t my followers repost my Instagram story?
Your followers can’t repost your story unless you tag them. If you’re not sure how to tag people in your Stories, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram and select the photo you want to share on your story.
- Tap “@,” and start typing the name/username of the person you want to tag. If you want to tag more people, repeat the process.
- Tap “Done” in the top-right corner.
- Tap “Send to whom.”
- Tap “Share” next to “Your story.”
The person(s) you tagged will receive a notification that they were mentioned in your story. They can resubmit it by tapping “Add to your story”.
Other frequently asked questions
Can you share someone else’s Instagram story without being tagged?
It’s not possible to share someone else’s Instagram story as your own unless you’ve been tagged in it. However, you can share it with your followers via direct message. Keep in mind that they will only be able to open it if they follow the person who posted the story.
Alternatively, you can always take a screenshot of the story and share it.
Can you share someone else’s Instagram story without them knowing?
If you’ve been tagged in a story and share it as your own, the person who originally posted it will always get a notification.
However, if you share someone else’s story via direct messages with your followers, the person who posted it will not receive a notification. It is important to remember that you can always check who has seen your stories. So if you share someone else’s story with your friend and the friend opens it, the person who posted the story will see their username under “See”.
Tell your story
Sharing stories is a great way to keep your followers up to date with your daily life. If you want to share a story with your friends, don’t forget to tag them. Otherwise, they won’t be able to share your story with their followers.
If you can’t share someone else’s Instagram story, it’s probably because you weren’t tagged in it. There are various ways around this, such as taking a screenshot of the story and sharing it, or using a third-party app.
Do you post Instagram Stories often? Have you ever had trouble sharing them? Tell us in the comments section below.